Located just south of the existing 31st Street Beach. This project scope included the construction of a 2,700 ft. long breakwater; approximately 1,000 new boat slips, green roof parking garage, and other parking improvements; reconfigured entrance to improve access; the creation of approximately four acres of new park space including a playground, promenade, open lawn areas, and terraced steps; and a harbor facility including a restaurant and community space. R.M. Chin provided strategic project implementation, assistance in procuring design services for the production of construction documents for coastal features (breakwaters, bulkheads, etc.) and land-side facilities (harbor office, restrooms, etc.) and oversight of those construction contracts.
This project achieved LEED “Silver” certification.
- Developing and maintaining the Harbor Program schedule and Harbor Project schedules
- Developing and maintaining the Harbor Program budgets, including sources, uses and cash flow analyses
- Developing and maintaining a matrix of the Harbor Programs and action items, responsibilities, and stats
- Coordinating and directing meetings with local, state, and federal agencies and other stakeholders as required for zoning, permits, and other project approvals
- Providing weekly executive summary reports
This project earned the following awards:
- 2012 Engineering News Record Midwest Best Landscape/Hardscape/Urban Development Project
- 2012 Award for Engineering Excellence – Illinois Society of Professional Engineering – Chicago Chapter